Monday 6 April 2020

Sugared Ring Donuts

This recipe was my most requested when I popped a picture of these beauties online earlier on. I have experimented with making donuts before and have the scars to prove it - whatever you do, keep your poor fingers well away from boiling oil. This is by far the easiest to make and the tastiest of all the recipes I have tried. I made these as basic rings but I will be trying them as filled donuts soon, once the previous food coma has worn off. I added a little cinnamon to the dough as its one of my favourite flavours and pairs really well with the sugary finish but this could be skipped if you aren't so keen. I found this made 12 small donuts so would double up the recipe if feeding a few or if you fancy something a little bigger. These were so popular I didn't get the chance to get a 'pretty' picture so please excuse the ones of them on the cooling racks.


Ingredients:

50g dairy free butter
120ml dairy free milk
2 tbsp sunflower oil - plus extra for frying
250g plain flour
50g caster sugar - plus extra for coating
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

Method:

In a small pan melt the butter over a medium heat then stir in the milk and oil and heat through until its warm to the touch. Place all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together. Add in the wet ingredients and bring together to create a thick and shaggy dough.


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and flatten into a disc then cut into your desired number of pieces. Roll each piece between your hands to create a ball then gently press to flatten slightly. Pierce through the middle with a finger or thumb then rotate the dough around to reshape.


Prepare a cooling rack with kitchen roll over the top to drain the cooked donuts on and place around 80g of caster sugar onto a plate.

Heat around an inch of oil in a large frying pan (if you have a deep fat fryer then use this) until a small piece of dough dropped into the oil floats to the surface in with 30 seconds.


Gently place the donuts into the oil in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. I cooked 4 at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown then place on the paper towels to drain any excess oil. They will look a little craggy and imperfect but this is great for catching up sugar in all the little gaps.


While the donuts are still warm, roll them in the sugar and transfer them to a clean cooling rack. Allow to cool slightly before digging in.

These will store for a few days in an airtight container but I highly doubt any will make it that long unless your self control is far stronger than my family's.

I really hope you make these, if you do please take a picture and tag me using #diaryofadefectivehousewife

Stay Safe and at Home

Big love
The Defective Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment